Sunday, July 18, 2010

Yikes A Giant Snake

Look what I found in my back yard.

131

I knocked him out of the tree and brought him inside.

This is my entry in the lil blue boo great ugly knit upcycle.

I wanted to find a way to store my Snoogle pregnancy pillow. I had a really difficult time with sleep during my pregnancy and expect that will be true the second time around so I didn’t want to get rid of the pillow but I needed a place to store it. This thing is huge. Storing it would be a big bulky mess… unless I did it in plain site. Thus my idea was born.

 

077To make this I took a bunch of green T-shirts our of our donate pile and cut them up into different sized rectangles. I made it into a large patchwork tube and then did a little shaping. Sadly I didn’t think to take pictures of this step. The trickiest part was giving the snake a mouth. I wanted it to be functional. The mouth is also the way that the snake pillow case is put on.137

 

Everything but the eyes were made out of my stack of ugly knits. I used a freezer paper stencil to make the whites of the eyes. The pupils and droopy eyelids were made of felt and hand sewn over the whites.

 

 

144145146147

My little boy might grow up to be a snake wrangler

Ruth

3 comments:

  1. oh my WORD! It turned out sooooo cute! Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! You made it to the finals of the Upcycle contest! Congrats, friend, I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snake! What a great job!

    Oh and psssssht... I voted for you! *fingers crossed* I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete